Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Nice guys finish first?



I saw this on Gone to Ground and thought it was a great read.  It basically talks about being friendly and having a good time while gaming... even tournament games!  I was lucky enough to have great opponents for all three matches on Saturday.  All three matches were very close, hard fought, and competitive affairs, but there wasn't a single cross word or rules question that wasn't settled quickly and amicably.  "Competitive" and "Friendly" games are not mutually exclusive, contrary to popular internet belief.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing to win as long as you do it within the rules (and without "lawyering"), with respect for your opponent, and remembering at all times it is just a game!  Smiles, small talk, laughing and groaning about dice (in reasonable amounts) all make for enjoyable games whether it is in the garage or a local RTT.

Having said that, I probably need to work on being more friendly during tournament games.  I tend to overthink everything... and with the tournament time constraints mixed with "pressure" to not screw up, I have to really focus on trying to play fast.  That causes me to end up in what my wife calls "the zone" where I am focused way too hard on the little plastic men on the table.  If you ever play me and it seems like I'm pissed off at the world, I promise that's not the case.  It's just a side effect of my brain not having enough horsepower to carry on a conversation and play the game at the same time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment